Friday, July 31, 2009

In the countryside (nostalgia)

Last Friday I went to the place where I used to spend summers in my childhood. My family has a house in a village not far from Mozhaysk and Borodino (the fields where the famous battle between the Russian troops headed by Kutuzov and the French troops headed by Napoleon Bonaparte took place), it's to the west from Moscow. The house is actually abandoned, nobody lives there in winter and very few people very seldom go there in summer. I hadn't been there for some 3-4 years and this time took the keys and went there alone. It was upsetting to finally come and see what I saw. I can say it's the place I loved most in Russia. And when nobody takes care of the land and the house you can easily feel it.
We used to plant paprika, tomatoes, a lot of cucumbers, strawberries, peas, zucchini, pumpkins, marrows, but this time I saw only one row of cucumbers, carrots, onions, garlic, several square metres of potato. When I was a kid my family had several beds of potato at least 1 km long each! No wonder we never bought potatoes. The apple trees in the garden are so old now, but still bear fruit. The raspberry bushes when not taken care of start to dominate other plants, and it is exactly what's happening in one part of our vegetable garden. Poor bushes of gooseberry and black currant, all surrounded by raspberry bushes. Yellow raspberry grows where it used to. In other parts of the vegetable garden the same old black and red currant bushes appeal to the eye. I remember one cold rainy summer day when my relatives lost me. They found me sitting under a black currant bush hiding from the rain and eating berries :)(Heard and liked the phrase: In Russia there are two winters - one white and one green).
It's a pity it's only several times a year but still it's so good to eat something directly from the bush =) They say the real good from a vegetable/fruit comes only the first 15 minutes after we pick it (tear it off) because only then the fruit is "living", the energy of Life is still there. It tastes better for sure =) And I fully enjoyed it that day in my garden. I really want to live in the countryside and grow my own vegetables and fruit, as we used to do years ago.

No comments: