Thursday, October 2, 2008

My food preferences in short

I used to eat everything that those around me ate. In France I did try the stereotype frog legs. In Spain I did enjoy the jamon serrano. I never thought about the violence and ill health related to eating animals. I did believe in God, even was baptized of my own free will when I was 8 or 9, but didn't associate this with vegetarianism. I didn't even know that somebody doesn't eat meat. I never met vegetarians until my dad decided to become one when I was 12 or 13, but he didn't succeed. Then a classmate became vegan a couple of years later. But both of them didn't have much influence on me. Only half a year ago, at the age of 24, I felt I could no longer eat what was not intended for human alimentation as I understood it then.
At the end of April 2008 I stopped eating
meat, fish, eggs, etc and derivatives. Then I learned about gelatin in yogurts, rennet in cheese and found yogurts without gelatin and cheese with vegetarian rennet. Then I stopped drinking coffee and black tea.
In early June I read a lot about
yeast and quit standard bread, found non-yeast bread. Being a sweet tooth I used to eat a lot of chocolate, but already in June I noticed my choco consumption reduced considerably.
In July I stopped eating
canned stuff, although with 3 exceptions in August.
I never drank much, but could enjoy good red French wine and good beer. In late August I drank my last
alcoholic drink, it was Guinness.
In late September I decided to follow a raw mono diet. This would be a really drastic change because I always cooked a lot: rice, pasta, beans, pumpkin, zucchini etc, used a lot of Indian spices; drank a lot of hot rose hips and herbs; and I still respect cow milk. I even started this way for a couple of days but then read and recalled that it is better to do everything gradually, step by step, because the microflora, the gut organisms need to adapt, and it takes a while. The change from cooked food to fully raw food is even more serious than that from meat-eating to being vegetarian, and my aim is even more ambitious: the mono diet, which means one type of food at a time as a meal, no matter if 1 piece or 1 kilo.
So since now I add more and more raw vegetables and different fruits, nuts to my diet, reduce the quantity of processed stuff. I don't eat or drink hot stuff any more.
I decided to continue eating honey when I find a good quality option. Because of
E220 (sulphur dioxide) I am reducing the amount of dried fruit almost to zero till I find brands I can trust, those that dry the fruit naturally.


This is the current state of affairs. This blog is intended to reflect the changes in me - my physical health, my energy, my mood, - that will be happening on my way to the raw veggie mono diet. I'll be happy to read about the personal experience of other bloggers.

=)

No comments: