Friday, March 27, 2009

Open air market/Dried fruits

Every Friday to Sunday there is a week-end open air market in each part of Moscow. In my area we have one half-way to my mom's workplace and every Friday we buy groceries from one and the same stall with produce from the Oryol region. It is hard to find a farm in Russia that would know how to preserve well agricultural produce the whole winter (November-March) due to low technological level of their storage facilities. And I guess we are lucky to have found some contacts. Their prices are higher than the average prices on that local market, but we noticed we are not the only regular customers of theirs. Thus, good quality (and minimal giving light weight as opposed to the majority) does form loyalty =).
I know that by now apples from this part of the planet don't contain much nutritional value in general, but still it's something juicy and nice. Unfortunately, I noticed that I can eat only Russian, Ukrainian and Moldavian apples, not treated or treated much less than their "colleagues" from Poland (which used to be quite fine before Poland entered the EU), France, Holland, China (uff) or Latin America.
I got hooked on sunflower seeds. Since last week I've been really enjoying some 100 grams of big & tasty sunflower seeds from Uzbekistan a time, some 2-3 times a day. I am really happy we have such good economic relations at the level of vegetables, fruits, dried fruits, seeds and similar with the ex-Soviet republics of Central Asia. They are so poor that they don't treat their produce =) and thanks God the sanitation & epidemiological rules and standards for import to the Russian Federation are adequate, not exorbitant as in the EU.

2 comments:

insatiable hee said...

Hey deary
how are you?
I wanted to let you know I came and read your blog :-D... (since you wanted to know)
guess what. I have decided to become slightly more food concious.. no meat unless necessary - we don't cook it ourselves but if friends do, we eat it- and if so, mostly organic, and will try eating local seasonal if I can find a nice site that tells me what they are! :-) hugggsss Hee

Ollique said...

Hey, Hee!!!
Nice to read you! I am used to see this blog of mine as my online raw food diary - something which is not interesting to the majority, so it's a great thing to receive a comment %)))))))