Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Coconut

They say it is better to eat what grows in your area. I agree but am only in the beginning of my way to the best eating habits =). I love bananas which can't survive in the northern countries, and sometimes I am curious about exotic fruits. Several weeks ago I tried something for what I don't know the name. It has a very bright pink and green cover and tastes neutral (The nasty-looking brown thing is tamarind, produce of Thailand, it's sweet-sour.)


And today I opened a coconut, the first time myself. It took some ten minutes, next time it will be quicker. There are many tips on the web on how to crack a coconut (for example, http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Coconut). This is how I did.
First, I made holes in the 3 black spots at one of the ends of the coconut using a screwdriver. Then I poured the juice; I had some 100 ml. Thirdly, I placed the coconut on a flat surface, held it with one hand and hit the central part with the non-sharp end of a big knife several times, but it didn't work out as the knife I had was not heavy enough. So I used a nutcracker - it was the heaviest thing I had, and it opened. Btw, the juice was very tasty and not extremely sweet.



And I am becoming a fan of freshly harvested walnuts.


No comments: