Friday, October 10, 2008

Fasting

Since July I keep a fast on ekadashi. I am young and of delicate constitution, so a couple of days per month is enough and good for me. Fast in the Vedic tradition means no food, no drinks, not even water; being awake the night to dwadashi; meditation and praying; listening to saint and wise people more than usual; doing more good than usual, give alms, help etc. They say if you do all this, your sins will be forgiven and in the next life you will be born on higher planets.
I am very interested in the ancient eastern philosophy and beliefs. I respect beliefs, ancient and more modern, but myself I am far from any Ecclesia. So a fast for me is mainly no food, no drinks. I chose to keep a fast on ekadashi because I felt the need for purification and cleanup in both physical and spiritual ways. And I believe that when many people believe in one and the same thing, they create a very powerful image of it, and the image influences everybody. Thus, together with giving rest to my body, I do something good to the spiritual part of me as well.

No comments: